Who we are?
The Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Healthcare Delivery (http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/science-of-health-care-delivery
) is a newly created center of excellence focused on combining health services research with healthcare engineering and large-scale data analysis principles to improve patient care, outcomes and cost. In 2013, Mayo Clinic formed a research alliance with Optum, a technology and healthcare services business to establish “Optum Labs”. The core mission for Optum Labs is to improve the value of healthcare for the patients. Optum Labs is a center for collaborative research and innovation, providing unique data and analytic resources that enable stakeholders from across the health care ecosystem to drive advances that lead to improved patient care.
Whom are we recruiting?
We are interested in recruiting you, if you possess the following:
Passion and interests
- Understand the true value of Big Data analytics for improving healthcare
- Strong research interest in mining millions of patient claims and electronic health records
- Dimensionality reduction, process mining, feature calibration and ROC analysis are “common words” in your vocabulary
- Can independently lead projects, work in teams and contribute to shaping scientific objectives
- Can develop a vibrant, impactful and translational Big Data Science program, and engage in professional and institutional service and leadership
Qualifications and experience
- PhD or MD/PhD in computer science, biomedical informatics, mathematics, biostatistics, health services research, operations research, decision sciences or a related field
- Strong publications and track-record of success in data mining, machine learning, or predictive modeling (e.g., ACM KDD, SIGMOD, ICML)
- Strong curriculum and experience with electronic health records, terminologies/ontologies, healthcare data standards, information visualization
- Working knowledge about Big Data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, NoSQL, Pregel ,Hive)
- Highly proficient in programming with Java, Python, R and/or SAS
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
What are the terms?
The position is available immediately and can be renewed annually. Mayo Clinic offers an attractive salary (commensurate with qualifications) and benefits package. Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants, including women and minorities.
Whom to contact?
For additional information, contact Jyotishman Pathak and Nilay Shah with your (1) resume/CV, (2) letter of application/cover letter, and (3) contact information for three references including mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. In the cover letter, specify that this is a “Big Data Science Fellow” position.