Research Scientist - Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP)
The NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is a unique public-private research center that uses New York City as its laboratory and classroom to help cities around the world become more productive, livable, equitable, and resilient. CUSP observes, analyzes, and models cities to optimize outcomes, prototype new solutions, formalize new tools and processes, and develop new expertise/experts. These activities will make CUSP the world's leading authority in the emerging field of "Urban Informatics." CUSP and its partners are working together with New York City in pursuing R&D in a number of projects across many domains. Our work includes close collaboration with NYC agencies.
The Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is seeking a Research Scientist to work in our visualization and data analysis effort. Besides pursuing research in these areas, including the design of algorithms and software for understanding and interacting with large urban data, the research scientist will be part of our operations team. He/she will work other CUSP members and partners to tackle our most difficult analytics problems with Big Data, and help deploy solutions to our partners.
The ideal candidate must have a PhD in Computer Science, expertise in visualization and data analysis, and experience with large software development. Other areas of desirable expertise include web-based, portable, and large-display wall applications.
Minimum Qualifications: Earned doctorate with dissertation research in an appropriate field (such as Computer Science, Information Science, or Computer Engineering) is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Extensive research experience with a record of publications in one or more related areas AND research experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Information and/or Scientific Visualization,
- Urban Data,
- Big Data Management and Analysis,
- Visual Analytics.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Strong computer science background
- Excellent skills in C++ and GPU programming (CUDA)
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English. The candidate would be expected to lead innovative interdisciplinary research with CUSP domain experts, and work with faculty, postdoc, and students.
Primary Job Duties:
- Plan, conceive, manage or conduct research and development for CUSP customers and sponsors. This includes helping prepare research proposals.
- Create new understandings and capabilities; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
Applicants are invited to send their CV, research statement, and names of at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Research Scientist" in the subject line. Application review will start immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. In keeping with this commitment, CUSP strongly encourages applications from women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups. Individuals with disabilities seeking accommodations in the application process should contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at email@example.com.