EXCITING CAREER-ENHANCING OPPORTUNITY AND COMPETITIVE TAX-FREE PACKAGE AT RED SEA LOCATION
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is an international, graduate research university dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education, and innovation.
KAUST's campus, on the shores on the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia, is an integrated multi-cultural international community of professionals, interpreneurs, scientists, and students living and working together to discover new possibilities in addressing the world's pressing scientific and technological challenges related to water, food, energy and environment. http://kaust.edu.sa
KAUST VISUALIZATION LABORATORY (KVL)
The Visualization Laboratory is a fully staffed state-of-the-art facility that offers a unique opportunity to utilize one-of-a-kind visualization, interaction, and computational resources for the exploration and presentation of scientific data. 2D and 3D display environments, highly spatialized and immersive audio, monoscopic and stereoscopic displays, wireless interaction devices, and fully integrated and portable desktop applications are some of the services available in the laboratory. Professional lab staff specializes in a wide variety of areas related to the exploration and presentation of scientific data. Their expertise covers:
- Researching and developing advanced scientific and information visualization software and hardware interfaces.
- Supporting HPC visualization projects (in collaboration with the KAUST Supercomputing Core Laboratory)
- Scientific audio/video production for the presentation of research results and university outreach.
- Scientific 3D modeling and animation production for journal covers, presentations, and research paper submissions.
- Supporting the innovative use of advanced audio interfaces for the exploration and presentation of large complex datasets.
- Hosting collaborative research events ranging from project meetings to research presentations, video conferencing sessions, and workshops.
- Providing guided tours of the facility for university visitors and showcasing the newest research from departments throughout KAUST.
- In-house design, development, and maintenance of all state-of-the-art lab facilities to keep the KAUST Visualization Core Laboratory on the cutting-edge of scientific visualization technology.
KVL offers a variety of options for faculty and students to explore and analyze their datasets utilizing the latest hardware and software visualization solutions. In collaboration with the lab’s own scientific staff, users of the lab have the following facilities at their disposal:
- CORNEA: A 6-sided CAVE Immersive Virtual Reality Environment.
- SHOWCASE: A highly versatile space for research meetings and development.
- Multipurpose Room: A theater-like presentation space.
- Video Production Studio, Editing and Control Rooms.
- Development spaces: Reconfigurable test room for students and researchers.
KVL is looking for a SCIENTIFIC VISUALIZATION & COMPUTER GRAPHICS RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The Scientific Visualization & Computer Graphics Research Scientist will work in collaboration with other team members to build cutting-edge visualization tools for domain scientists and industry partners, architecting solutions for large-scale data visualization and interaction with distributed graphics on ultra-high resolution tiled-displays and virtual reality environments.
As a desired competency, the incumbent will also design, implement and maintain streaming HPC-Visualization from simulations done in supercomputing facilities at KAUST, including Shaheen (KAUST’s BlueGene/P system) and other HPC clusters on campus. This activity will require close collaboration with Computational Scientists within the KAUST Supercomputing Core Lab (KSL) to support the implementation of visualization solutions in their systems.
As part of the Core Labs, the incumbent will also provide training and support for students and researchers regarding the software and hardware facilities in the lab, participating in and organizing training seminars and workshops, as well providing student mentoring and support in collaboration with KAUST faculty, as appropriate. Major Responsibilities
- Provide Visualization and CG support and expertise to research endeavors across campus.
- Working collaboratively with other laboratory staff and external vendors in the design and implementation of new systems, and upgrades to existing systems.
- Maintain accurate documentation and training guidelines for the utilization of laboratory software and hardware visualization tools.
- Software tools and program development for visualization applications running on KVL and KSL facilities.
- Provide support and expertise on human-computer interaction techniques related to visualization.
- Provide support and expertise on virtual reality environment design and implementation, including VR interfaces and the combination of Visualization and VR applications.
- Propose, evaluate and deploy new software and hardware technology solutions for visualization and graphics.
- Stay up-to-date on scientific developments in graphics, visualization, displays, interaction and projection technologies.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Manager of the Visualization Laboratory.
- Demonstrated experience in scientific and/or information visualization application design and implementation, with strong knowledge and demonstrated experience of advanced programing languages, including distributed and web-based applications. i.e. expertise in one or more of the following areas: FORTRAN, C, C++, MPI, OpenMP, WebGL, CUDA, Python, D3, VTK, Avizo, Paraview, VisIt, Virtools/3DVIA, OpenInventor, OSG, Equalizer, CGLX
- Expert in multiple areas of computer graphics including 2D/3D graphics, image processing, and advanced rendering techniques.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Highly competent technical documentation skills
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Familiarity with RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux), MAC OS, Windows, and mobile operating systems.
- Experience with Visualization Hardware which includes: NVidia Quadro and QuadroPlex Graphics Systems and VR tracking systems.
- Knowledge of 3D display technologies (both Projection and LCD panels)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related area required; MSc or PhD preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in computer graphics, visualization, and advanced display technology.
Please email me directly for more information about this position.